Sassin' up strawberries like it ain't no thang.
Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins | Makes 6 shortcakes
shortcakes (adapted from Bisquick recipe)
- 2 1/3 cup Bisquick
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2% but it doesn't seem to matter much)
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 3 tbs. butter, melted
- 2 lbs. strawberries, washed, stems removed, and quartered
- 4 tbs. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. sugar
- whipped cream topping
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. sugar
- pinch of salt
- Roast strawberries: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine hulled strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. Place on an lightly sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes (take the pan and shake berries around after about 20 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make balsamic glaze: While strawberries are roasting, make your balsamic glaze by combining ingredients for glaze in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once slightly boiling, lower to a simmer and reduce for 30 minutes until glaze is thick.
- Bake shortcakes: Increase your oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, mix ingredients for shortcakes until combined. Drop 6 dollops of mix on an ungreased cookie sheet (make sure mix is distributed evenly). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Build dessert: Assemble by slicing shortcakes in half, laying a full scoop of roasted strawberries on bottom half, topping with whipped cream, and drizzling some balsamic glaze. Top with other half of shortcake.